In this #OneHourDIY project, we're transforming a shower curtain into a piece of giant (over 5ft x 5ft!) wall art for UNDER $20 — what?!
Check out the how-to video below and don't forget to pin this post for later.
The video will walk you through the easy step by step process for creating this shower curtain art + some hacks. If you need a power tool free method for building the frame instead of using pocket holes, you can find that below.
images & styling inspo // pin this post // shopping links
power tool free method:
If you don't have a drill or kreg jig to make pocket holes, you can attach the edges of your frame using staples and wood glue.
Just line up your boards square, add a generous amount wood glue to the edges, then add 3-4 staples across the joint of the board so that one side of the staple goes into each piece of wood.
optional — use clamps to keep the joint in place while you staple, you can also have a friend hold the wood so it doesn't move
Leave your frame on a flat surface until the wood glue is fully dry.
Check out the video above for the tutorial or scroll down to see inspo images + a DIY card with shopping links.
DIY Shower Curtain Canvas Art
You can DIY huge canvas art for cheap to uplevel your space and even fill a huge blank space on your wall with 1 statement piece.
budget tool options
- Pick your art (shower curtain) — fabric or cloth shower curtains work best
- optional: add texture with chunky yarn embroidery — embroider parts of the shower curtain with chunky yarn for added 3D texture
- Build a frame — using 1 in. x 2in. lumber build a large square frame that's about 2 inches smaller than your shower curtain on all sides. Attach with pocket holes and wood glue
- Stretch the canvas — Lay your shower curtain face down with the frame on top. Start on one side, wrapping the fabric around the frame and securing at the back with a staple. Work your way from the middle towards the edges. Once one side is complete, move on to the opposite side and then the adjacent sides.
- Hang it up — you can either hang it on the wall with 3 nails across the top that the canvas will rest level on top of, or secure by adding a 2" brad nail through each corner and into the wall
✧ affiliate link — I might make a commission if you buy through this link. It doesn't cost any extra for you. Thanks for supporting NSB! ?
Where did you purchase the floral shower curtain? Love it!
Isn’t it so cute!! 🙂 You can find it here — https://rstyle.me/+Q5AtG_yBiwnLrsyKECaUjA
HI Cara I’m so crazy about your project I purchased the same curtain at target (now $20 but still makes the project a steal!) I wanted to get more details on how you did the embroidery I have super basic skills aka i can thread a needle and sew on a button. Your work is truly a piece of art. My boyfriend is a carpenter so the frame he can handle, but it terms of the embroidery materials and skill set can you send me links to beginner tutorials or your own tutorials I LoVE you extra touches and would like to replicate. Will always credit you and will send finished piece if I ever do it. Got the curtain so I’m kind of commited! Again thank you for sharing this is outstanding and creative and good for my budget! A piece like this is worth $200 or more. 200 being an understatement.
Hi Cara, I made this and love it, thank you. I have a huge wall & it works perfectly. It could use a few tweaks but next time 🙂 I was curious, do you keep it up all year? How do you decorate for fall & Xmas around it?
What a brilliant, achievable DIY art project. The end result was fantastic. Well done!!!!