Stacking up plywood is an easy way to build a blocked shape, plus adds a striped texture for interest. On these bookends, the striped plywood looks like pages on the edge of a book, which is a little extra design detail that makes these extra special.
Check out the video above for the tutorial or scroll down to see inspo images + a DIY card with shopping links.
p.s. I created a free template to help you get your cuts exactly right
This project was a collaboration my friend Sam over at @diyhuntress put together — I teamed up with a bunch of DIYers and makers to build at home using scrap wood as we stay home and stay safe.
CHeck out all the other amazing projects ?
@diyhuntress // @walkers_woodworks // @jaimecostiglio // @eyeinthedetail // @addicted2diy // @uglyducklingDIY // @pneumaticaddict // @jenwoodhouse // @thebuildwithethan // @lazyguydiy // @genealogistwoodworker // @3x3custom // @anikasdiylife // @penaltyboxwoodshop // @atcharlotteshouse // @cowdogcraftworks
check out our binge-able playlist with all the project tutorials ?
- Print the FREE Quote Bookends Cut Template
- Stick down a piece of contact paper onto 2 of the plywood boards, then spray the back of each paper template with spray adhesive and stick one on each board
- Stack and attach template board to another plywood piece with screws on the outside of the typeface (for a double cut)
- Cut out the template using the scroll saw (or jig saw) — you'll have 2 quote marks per template stack (4 total)
- Apply wood glue to each quote mark and secure to a blank plywood piece. Secure with clamps to dry
- Using the quote mark as a guide, cut the bottom blank board (X4) with the scroll saw / jigsaw. After this, you'll have 4 stacks of two boards cut in the shape of quote marks
- Glue two of the quote mark stacks to each other and secure with 4-6x trim screws through the back of the piece, being careful not to drive them through the front (you'll now have just two quote marks with a 4 board stack on each)
- Sand to smooth and shape where needed — for screw holes + any pieces of plywood missing, mix sawdust from the sanding with wood glue to fill holes and cracks, let dry and sand again
- Paint the front of the quote mark with matte black paint, leaving the sides unpainted
- Seal the whole piece with matte Polyurethane
- Let dry, style on your shelf with your favorite books